
My husband and I couldn't have been more anxious than we were at our 20 week ultrasound of our first baby in December 2009. My mother and he were there with me waiting to find out whether to decorate the nursery in pink or green. Finally! There was our son; spread eagle, showing his manhood clear as day. The joy in the room was soon interrupted by the uncertainty of what came next. The technician broke the news that our little boy would have a cleft lip/palate. Although shocked by what I had just heard, I was calmly prepared for what I'd soon endure. We hadn't even left the office before my husband started researching the condition on his iPhone. I figured the best way to handle the situation was to be as knowledgeable and informed of the condition as possible. That is what helped ease the feelings of why me? How did this happen? What will he look like? Unfortunately, family wasn't as level-headed initially. It took a while to get them to understand that our son was healthy in all other regards, he would just have a wider smile than others. He would have to endure many difficulties at a young age, but still be a happy, healthy member of our family. I know that God put me on this earth to care and nurture others. He gave me the opportunity to care for a little being that would need extra TLC. Thus, the blessing of Cooper James
No comments:
Post a Comment