Friday, June 25, 2010

More of the NAM



So, the first week of having Coop's NAM in was something I was unprepared for. Since the day he was born Coop has been nothing but an easy baby. Eats, sleeps, get his diaper changed, and the cycle continues without any fuss. But that first week of the NAM changed everything. He had trouble eating, spitting up over his NAM, and was just generally in a bad mood. We didn't encounter any troubles of this nature until the NAM. I wish I was more well informed of the purpose of the NAM at that time. The doctor said it would help his performance eating, but in our case it did nothing but actually make it more difficult for my son. He was able to breastfeed before, and that became a real struggle to where it was only possible to pump and bottle feed.

Thankfully I have better news now. THAT WAS ONLY THE FIRST WEEK, IT GETS BETTER I PROMISE. This is a common problem for other parents of NAM babies, and though I was ready to just take the darn thing out and say forget it, I new it would help prepare my baby for surgery. After all isn't that why we signed up for all this in the first place?? It has been a month now since the NAM was put in, and Cooper is doing excellent. He's over his cranky mood swings and eats like a pig. He's gained significant weight which is exactly what we're going for. He still isn't too happy when I have to go through the process of cleaning/replacing his dressings and putting the piece back in, but once I get that accomplished, he knows he has a nice warm bottle to devour and voila, my happy boy is back!



No comments:

Post a Comment